Early Orthodontic Treatment for Kids
At Van Vliet Orthodontics
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that a child be examined by an orthodontist by age seven.
This first visit will provide parents with information regarding their child’s skeletal growth pattern and dental development as well as advise parents on the ideal timing of orthodontic treatment.
Benefits of Early Treatment
Early orthodontic treatment offers many benefits, often achieving one or more of the following goals:
- Enhancing upper airway and nasal airway for optimum growth and development
- Improving facial growth and jaw alignment
- Creating space for non-erupted permanent teeth and therefore, the elimination of extractions
- Eliminating harmful habits such as thumb or finger sucking, tongue thrusting, and respiratory airway problems
- Reduce the occurrence of impacted teeth
- Simplify later orthodontic treatment
- Improving the child’s self-image during the formative years
- Minimizing the necessity for jaw surgery
Early Treatment Before & After Pictures
At Van Vliet Orthodontics we believe the key to successful orthodontic treatment begins with early diagnosis and if necessary, appropriate orthodontic intervention.
In order to illustrate the results of early orthodontic treatment, below are before and after pictures of cases treated at Van Vliet Orthodontics with early orthodontic intervention.